Saturday, January 31, 2015

Good Finds



    Today I woke up with the sun. Not something I've been accustomed to doing lately since I haven't been working and I've been sick. But I must say, the birds and the rising of the sun was most exquisite and refreshing as I poked my head out the door to observe them.... and then I quickly ducked it back in to keep away from the cold and to keep the cats from getting in. ;)


  The reason for my early rising was so that I could take a trip with some of the family to a local market place, which is only open on Saturdays and where lots of things are sold. They sell things like returned items and hand crafted objects.

   The key to these market places is keeping a good watch on what you buy, having some pretty good bargaining skills and knowing how to look for a good deal. Get these things down and you'll be doing fantastic!

  I love market places! Because I love bargaining and talking to people and finding cool things. There are always so many unique things to find.

  And another thing this particular market has is fresh fruits and veggies!! This is good news for me because I now have the opportunity to find good deals on lots of things that I need for juicing.

 So let me tell you about my finds, because I'm rather excited about it.  ;)





Lets just talk about the logistics of this for a moment...
An entire basket full of Jalapeno peppers, which I use to give some of my juices a little more kick. - $2.00
10 Red Navel oranges, which will provide plenty of juice to last quite a few days.
$5.00
5 Green Bell Peppers
$2.00
A basket of Tangerines
$2.00
And my favorite find of all! Because they will last a good while and we got them for such a good price. Tomatoes!!                                  

  These are hard to find in the winter time for a relatively cheap price. So I searched through the box this sweet old man was pointing us toward, found 18 of the best ones he had and then an extra because he told me to through in one more. And all this for a grand total of....
$6.00!!


So all in all we spent $17 on all these goods. Normally we would not have gotten this many tomatoes, probably only a few bell peppers, 6 or so oranges for like $5. No tangerines and probably a few jalapenos at two for a dollar. And we would have spent I'm willing to bet closer to $30 on much less then what you see here.





I also heard tell today of a Farmer's Market not far from us. And by not far I mean a good hour away, but we live way out next to a river and everything is that far away. ;)
Farmer's markets are more ideal for this particular type of shopping. They'll probably have even better selections then what I found today and really great prices. Plus they'll most likely sell seasonal produce, which means it they'll be sweeter and larger because they'll be what grows best this time of year.


Like all of these things I found today.










      In short, farmer's markets are an excellent idea if you are thinking about a juice fast or even just eating cleanly. If you are in need of lot's of yummy fruits and veggies then go online and search for local farmers markets in your area. And with spring on the way, they'll surely be full of lots of fresh, yummy things.




The loot.

Photo creds go to my little brother. ( Thanks Steven. ;) )

Now by the way, I'll be able to make one of my favorite recipes involving tomatoes and peppers to share with you all!


And just because I love finding good deals...




These are my other finds, spring colors in nail polish. Eyeliner and some base for only $4.50.


(Can you tell I'm ready for spring??)


And so after a day full of sunrises, adventuring, bargaining, rocking out to 70's rock music with my dad in the car, noticing a particularly cute construction worker on the way, finding good deals and lots and lots of walking ( also a plus of going to a market place ) I am now ready to make some delicious juice.

And then it's off to exploring a nearby town on the river and some downtime at a local cafe with my mom. I kind of love Saturdays.


5 comments:

  1. Uh, I love you Chelsea. Lovely blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some awesome deals and a great day.

    -Alice Wright
    www.thewrightfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Chels! So excited for you :) as soon as i get moved into my house you need to start giving me lessons.

    ReplyDelete