Saturday, February 7, 2015

Recipes On the Go!



  For today's post I thought I'd share with you a few "on the go" ideas I put to good use yesterday.

 I spent the day out with my brother and sister-in-law shopping around from town to town and had no time to juice. So I prepared the night before. And here's how..



Firstly, I removed a bag of pineapple pulp from the freezer to thaw over night and then grabbed it before jumping in the van. It was sweet, full of fiber and perfect for an "on the go" breakfast. I also had some sweet orange tea to compliment the pineapple. It was a good breakfast. ;)



                                                                              My nephew. He was not ready to be awake yet!




                                                                                                        Detox Water




I try and make sure I drink nearly 3 liters of water a day, or pretty close to that. But sometimes I get a little water logged. And even though I love water, it also tastes the same every time you drink it. ;)
Flavored water from the store isn't really an option because I don't want to risk it having some kind of sugar in it. So this is my variation of detox water!

Normally a detox water would have things like cucumber, mint, and some sort of fruit involved. I love making those kinds. But when I want a sweet treat but don't want to drink sugary beverages I resort to this!

All you need is :
 
About 1\4 cup of fresh fruit to 1 liter of water.

I like to use peaches, strawberries, pineapples and mangoes.

Add the fruit and the water together and chill in the fridge overnight. That way the fruit has plenty of time to let the juices seep into your water. you can remove the fruit after it has chilled and strain it to remove the pulp. ( I like to leave mine in. )

Then just grab it in the morning and go. It's as simple as that!


Since I've been on a juice fast for over a month I sometimes like to throw a little fiber into my diet. Not having enough fiber is the number one concern when it comes to long term juice fasting. So I make sure to eat actual fruits and veggies occasionally because it's been over thirty days. If I were doing one for a shorter time I probably wouldn't worry about it.
But since mine is longer, here are some great ways to get that fiber in your belly without having to carry around a ton of fruits and veggies with you every where you go.



Juice Pulp Crackers




This recipe also helps you use up all that saved up juice pulp in your freezer.




First you'll need about two heaping cups of juice pulp.



Add to this about 1/2 cup of ground flax seed.

And any seasoning you think would work well.
I used the juice pulp from my hot juice so it contained Carrots, Tomato, Green Bell Pepper and Jalapeno. So I used 1 tbs of Coriander and 1/2 tbs of  Curry Powder as well as a dash of Black Pepper.

Keep in mind that they will not taste salty unless you use salt. I didn't because salt is not a part of my diet right now. But if you were to add salt I would recommend only using about 1 tsp of finely ground sea salt.
Some also add 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds or oats. Use your own creativity to make them taste good!

Also consider adding 1/4 -1/2 cup of water. I didn't add any water but mine didn't need it at all. If  your mixture isn't spreadable then you can add some water. Use your judgement. ;)



     Mix well. You can mix in a food processor if you don't like pulp and prefer finer crackers.
       Then spread onto some wax paper inside a long pan or baking sheet. Spread the mixture as thinly as you want the crackers to be. The thicker the spread the longer it will take to cook.
 I do not have a dehydrator so I do mine in the oven by setting the temp. on 325 and propping the door of the oven open just a bit. Cook them for 30-45 minutes. Keeping an eye on them after thirty.When they get crispy around the edges there probably done.


                            And that's all! Slice up into pieces and seal in an air tight container. Keep in mind that they will mildew if they get wet and need to be eaten relatively soon after you make them.






                                                                                                    Lettuce Wraps


  Lettuce wraps are another fantastic way to eat healthy on the go. You can add in whatever you like but since I'm on a juice fast and just need fiber, this is what I did. 







Spread out your lettuce.



This is a mixture which I created for soup when we had a bunch of sick people in the house.
It's been frozen and waiting for an appropriate time to be used. ;)



After this spread I  just sliced up a tomato and added a fourth of it to each wrap. Then sprinkled on some Basil.

Roll it up, stick a few tooth picks in and seal it in an air tight container.

I prepared all these things the night before ( as well as some juice ) and put them to good use the next day when I had absolutely no time to juice.

It was a full day and I didn't cheat once while we were out. #success ;)

                                                                         The sunset was absolutely gorgeous by the way. <3










1 comment:

  1. Yumm! You do such a great job of make everything look so delicious and appealing, Chelsey. I'll definitely be trying the detox water. Thanks for sharing this post!

    -Alice Wright
    www.thewrightfamilyfarm.blogspot.com
    www.whatsoever-lovely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete